5.3 - Changing & Cleaning Air Filter K5
Proper air filter maintenance is extremely important for off-road vehicles. A dirty, water-soaked, worn-out air filter will allow dirt, dust, mud or other impurities to pass into the engine. If you are riding in wet and/or muddy areas, you should service the air filter more often. Always replace the air filter with a genuine AJ1 filter specifically designed for your model or a filter of equal quality.
Failure to maintain the filter can/may cause engine wear or damage, expensive repairs, low engine power, low fuel mileage, carbon build up on valves and foul the spark plug.
- Remove the 2 screws
- Pull out the air filter cover by pulling in areas sideways.
- Remove the air filter cover by sliding it toward the front of the motorcycle.
- Detach air filter holder at bottom and move it to one side.
- Remove the air filter and filter support.
- Wash the air filter element in a clean non-flammable cleaning solvent.
- Then, wash in hot, soapy water, rinse well, and allow to air dry thoroughly. The air filter element is made in two parts: the inner and outer, which of course cannot be separated.
- Clean the inside of the air filter housing.
- Allow the air filter element to dry thoroughly.
- After drying, apply 1.5 oz. (45mL) of clean new Foam Air Filter Oil from the inside of the air filter element.
- Place the air filter element into a plastic bag and spread the oil evenly by hand.
- Assemble the air filter element and holder together.
- Apply White Lithium Grease to the air filter housing contact area of the air filter element
- Install the air filter assembly into the air cleaner housing.
- Carefully position the sealing flange of the air filter element to prevent dirt from getting in.
- Insert both parts together into the air filter housing.
- Make sure the position is correct.
- Fasten the air filter using the filter holder
- Clip the holder in the correct position
- Insert the air filter cover into area and clip it into the front area.
- Mount and tighten the screws
- Now the air filter cover is secure.